Complaints Procedure

Carter Halliwell aim to provide the highest standards of service but, like any other business, we can make mistakes and things do not always proceed as well as we would like.

We try to ensure that mistakes are rare and, if there is one, that we are able to rectify this mistake quickly and learn lessons for the future so that it does not happen again.

If you feel that our service has fallen short of your expectations, then this page will tell you how to register your complaint and what you can expect us to do in order to deal with this.

Throughout this process you will be treated with courtesy and respect and if we conclude that we have made a mistake we will firstly apologise and then explain to you how we propose to rectify the mistake.

How to make a complaint

Firstly you should try to resolve the issue with your case manager at our office by telephone on 01925 929376.  All complaints are recorded and our case managers are trained to be receptive and responsive to criticism.

If you are dis-satisfied with the response from your case manager, or you would prefer to make a written complaint, please email us at or write to us at the following address:

Complaints Officer
Carter Halliwell
55 Sankey Street

What happens next?

A written acknowledgement will be issued promptly; not later than five working days from receiving your complaint.

Your concerns will then be fully investigated and, within two weeks of the initial receipt of your written complaint, we will issue a final response or we will explain why we are not yet in a position to issue a final response and inform you when you may expect to receive this.

If you are not satisfied with our final response

We are committed to ensuring that all complaints are fully and fairly addressed but, if you are still not satisfied after receiving our final response, you have the right to refer the matter to our regulator. Our Insolvency Practitioner, Tracey Catherine Howarth, is regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (“ICAEW”) and complaints regarding her conduct, and that of her staff, should be directed through The Insolvency Service Complaints Gateway which can be found at: or by writing to:

IP Complaints
The Insolvency Service
3rd Floor
1 City Walk
LS11 9DA

If you live in Northern Ireland, you should complain directly to the ICAEW by writing to:

Professional Conduct Department
Metropolitan House
321 Avebury Boulevard
Milton Keynes

To comply with the Provision of Service Regulations, the professional indemnity insurance of this practice is provided by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited, 1 Great St Helens, London, EC3A 6HX. This professional indemnity insurance provides worldwide coverage, excluding professional business carried out from an office in the United States of America or Canada, and any action bought in any court in the United States of America or Canada.